Friday, January 11 and Saturday, January 12 Honolulu, HA

22 Jan

wakiisonyWe had a smooth flight from Molokai to Honolulu. I had prepared for the 7 am flight with air sick pills and thanks to no winds, the flight was fine. After we arrived and dumped our luggage at the Astin Waikikii hotel, we hopped on a bus and went to the Sony Open. How fun was that. Cheap transportation and cheap tickets, $20 each. We walked around for about 4 hours. Some big names: Dustin Johnson, Zac Johnson, John Daly, Keegan Bradley, Davis Love III, but no Gary Woodland. We were wondering why we didn’t see him.
After the tournament, we hustled back to the hotel to begin meeting the passengers coming in on the first of 3 groups. This was part of Denny and mine’s job as cruise assistants. We were able to help with luggage and direct them to the registration desk. Our last group came in at 11 pm. Some of them had really long days that began at 3 am and ended at 11 pm. One couple whose husband was in a wheelchair happened to be neighbors of mine growing up. Their son also works as a machinist for the Harley store in Topeka. Small world. Denny was a big help to them for getting on and off the ship and during excursions.
The best part of that day was the buffet we had at the Marriott. For $28: Prime Rib, Crab legs, Mahi Mahi, huge boiled shrimp, baby creme brulets, salad. We gorged ourselves literally. The hotel was beach front, so you could do a lot of people watching.
The next morning, we all piled into a bus and went to Lani’s wedding. The cruise was called “Lani’s Wedding Cruise”. She is a local disk jockey in Topeka and descends from Hawaiian royalty. We didn’t meet any queens or kings or princesse’s for that matter, but it was a nice wedding in a very old Congregational church. It was right across the street from the palace. After the wedding, we piled into the bus once again and went to the reception. It was held in someone’s front yard under a tent with spaghetti and fruit salad and bottled water. A little strange but the majority of the group seemed okay with it so that was fine. The cool thing about it was it was very close to one of the most popular beaches on Oahu and it was beautiful. Once again we piled into the bus and headed to the ship. I became the bus stewardess and had fun being that. Boarding the ship was so painless because the majority of the passengers were already on board. We were in our suite by 4:30. We met up with our friends Claire and Rolly and headed to dinner. This cruise only cruised at night and it would usually begin during dinner. Whoa…rough seas and I wasn’t able to hang out too long after dinner due to the movement of the ship. Very unusual rough waters but we just happen to be in Hawaii during odd weather.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: